Friday, September 14, 2018

Stormy Weather...Soon...

It's a perfect, sunshiny, blue sky day in
East Tennessee today.
Hard to believe we will probably
be dealing with the remains of 
Hurricane Florence
on Sunday and Monday.
Our local forecast is rain,
some wind, rain and more rain.

I have now lived in my little
cape cod for fifteen months.
I have a huge basement,
which has not flooded since I have
been here.
But my neighbor Sue tells me
it did once flood several years ago.
I am enough worrier to worry about that.
I know what dealing with a 
My big concern is that I am storing 
all my sister Nancy's 
furniture and home goods 
while she is a care giver of our parents.
So I have a very full basement.
On my To Do list today or tomorrow
is to get everything I can 
raised a bit off the floor.
Just in case...

Fun road trip last weekend.
M was visiting and we drove
to Wise, Virginia and visited

Located about a hour away,
the vineyard is located
atop a mountain.
The drive was twisty and curvy.

But once we arrived we were rewarded
with a bucolic and pretty winery.

We had a tasting of several wines
and explored their small shop.

The vines for the concord grapes 
were open for "cutting your own."

Since I have never cut grapes,
I had to give it a try.

After a very short while
I had a nice bucket full 
to take home.

They taste as good as they look!

Godspeed for everyone 
who has already been, or will be affected
by the hurricane.

Thursday, September 6, 2018

The Porch is Finished!

I have actually been enjoying it
since mid July.

All the work was completed then,
except for the arrival
of a new door from the living room
onto the porch.

That got installed last Monday.

 So nice to see this summer's project
come to completion.

 This stone kitty, 
who actually belongs to my sister Nancy,
has found a corner for herself
for the time being.

I brought my porch furniture
up from the basement, 
where it has been waiting patiently. 
It used to grace the front porch 

I made new cushion covers
from an outdoor fabric
with a fun and colorful bird motif.

I love this sheep, but until the porch,
could not find a place for it inside the house.
So, it's very nice to now be
able to find a home for it.

What would a porch be without
a swing?

As I said earlier, I've been enjoying
the porch since mid July.
My favorite time is early in
the morning, watching my street
come to life as I have my first cup of coffee.

I think it almost looks as though it has always been there!
Now, time to start planning
for next year's
home improvement project...

Thursday, August 9, 2018

Chihuly at Biltmore

I had a road trip last weekend!
M and I met up with friends
in Asheville, NC and had a full day at
Biltmore Estate.

Biltmore is hosting an exhibition 
in their historic gardens
and house 
of work by American artist, 
Dale Chihuly.

Chihuly's glass sculptures have been installed
throughout several of Biltmore's gardens, Conservatory and 
the Winter Garden inside the house...

...resulting in a stunning exhibition.

If you have ever visited Biltmore
you know what a visual treat it is.

Orchids in the Conservatory.

One of several
"Burnished Amber, Citron and Teal Chandeliers"
in the Conservatory.

"Fiori Boat"
located in one of the ponds of 
The Italian Garden.
This was one of my favorite installations.

This is another favorite of mine,
 inside the Winter Garden of the house.

"Laguna Torcello II"

"Sky Blue and Cobalt Fiori"
located just outside the Winter Garden.

As you can see from some of the pictures,
we had a rainy day.
But other than the inconvenience,
it did not in any way  distract from the 
beauty of this show.

After viewing the gardens
we made our way into the house.
I did not take pictures inside,
but have included a few from
Google Images 
to give those
of you who have never visited
an idea of the splendor.

The Dining Room

 The Library

George Vanderbilt's Bedroom

After touring the house we had
an excellent dinner at 
The Deerpark,

...a lovely restaurant on the grounds of the estate.

We ended the day at a concert on the grounds.
What a setting to revisit the music of
Creedence Clearwater Revival!

(I have not been to a rock concert since
Three Dog Night 
during my college days!!!)

Needless to say,
it was quite a day!

The Chihuly Exhibit remains 
until October 7, 2018.
If you are in the area,
do not miss it!

Monday, July 23, 2018

Another Completed Project -- Check!



I spent the past weekend working on a project
that has dogged me since
I moved in a year ago.
The mantle of my fireplace
got a "slapdash" coat of paint
just before I moved in.
In addition to only having one coat
which really did not completely cover
the original paint,
it was painted with latex over oil,
which took foreveeeeeer to dry,
and the underside of the mantel shelf
never got painted.
So, lots of problems
I have lived with for the past year.
I also lived with the original red brick 
surround for a year,
trying to decide whether or not to paint it as well.
As you can see from above,
I decided to paint it.

My first coat on the bricks
which you see above
was with KILZ Hide-All.

After that I painted two coats a white latex 
on everything.

The black vent behind the fire screen
also got a coat of an oil based enamel.

I do not have a lot of experience
painting with enamel and while painting
with it, every brush stoke seemed to show.
I am happy to  say when it dried,
it was as smooth as satin!

I am very happy with the results of my
weekend project.
I am also happy to have this project off my list!
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...