Thursday, January 27, 2011

Dried Cherry Chili

What could be better than a steaming bowl
of chili...

...on a wintry day?

Dried Cherry Chili
Makes 8 servings

2 c. lower-sodium chicken broth, divided
4 oz. dried tart cherries, chopped (3/4 c.)
1T. olive oil
1 T. chopped chopped garlic
1 lb. ground turkey
1 roasted red bell pepper, cut into 1/4 inch cubes
1 T. plus 1 t. chili powder
1 1/2 t. ground cumin
1 t. ground coriander
1 t. dried mustard
4 c. chopped fire-roasted tomatoes
1 (16 oz) can black beans
1/4 c. chopped cilantro

Heat 1 c. broth.
Place cherries in a small bowl.
Add hot broth and set aside.

Heat olive oil in a 4 qt. saucepan over medium heat.
Add onion;
saute about 5 minutes, until onion is soft.
Add garlic;
cook 1 minute.
Do not brown garlic.
Add turkey;
cook until it is no longer pink.

Add bell pepper, chili powder, cumin,
coriander, mustard and oregano.
Cook over medium-high heat,
stirring occasionally,
about 2 minutes.
Add tomatoes and remaining broth;
bring to boil.
Reduce heat;
simmer, uncovered, about 5 minutes.

Stir in beans, cilantro and cherry mixture.
Continue cooking until thoroughly heated.



Perhaps top it with sour cream or

grated cheddar cheese, or
maybe both?


If you really want a feast,
also bake a skillet of
Sour Cream Corn Bread

It's enough to make you glad it's cold outside!

I'm linking this post to
Foodie Friday at Designs by Gollum
Tasty Tuesdays at 33 Shades of Green
What's Cooking Wednesday at Not So Homemade
All Things Inspired at All Things Heart and Home

11 comments:

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

I have never heard of cherries in chilli. May have to give this a try. Sounds good.

Pattie @ Olla-Podrida said...

What an interesting chili recipe, not just because of the cherries, but also the cilantro and black beans. I've not made chili with any of these ingredients before. I'm definitely going to try this. I've wanted chili for weeks now.

Tanna said...

Oh, this is a NEW one to me! You know most recipes you have at some point or another seen one or tried one similar. I can't wait to try this one! Thank you for sharing.

I've been checking out the wide brim hat on ravelry. I think I am going to have to give it a go one of these days. That thing is just too cute. Do you have a project page? Yours is much cuter than the others I saw!! And, your idea with the flower just kicked it up to another level!! Great job!

Unknown said...

Looks yummy! Now I want some chili and cornbread...

The Sewing and Knitting Loft said...

OK, I have to ask, is 1 cup of garlic correct?

Barb

Susan McClaskey said...

Barb,
Thanks for catching that! It should read 1 Tablespoon garlic.
Best,
Susan

Sherry @ No Minimalist Here said...

This meal would have been wonderful this week with the snow. Looks yummy!
xo,
Sherry

KimMalk said...

Hi Susan, I love dried cherries - what an interesting twist. Do they retain their tartness or mellow with the cooking? Your previous post on your homemade bread looks wonderful! Stay warm, friend. ~Kim

Peg said...

A very interesting recipe! I would've never thought of adding cherries to chili! I clicked over to look at your sour cream cornbread recipe too. It is the same as the one I use... my favorite! For health reasons, I wish I could cut the fat a bit, but that's what makes it so good.

Oh yes, I must tell you that I experimented with the Artisan bread and tried half whole wheat flour... too heavy, it doesn't rise well but we've managed to eat it anyway :-)

I'm going to have to take some time soon and look over all your knitting projects. I'm between projects right now and need some inspiration.

Stitchfork said...

Nothing better than chili on a cold winter's day, especially with cornbread! Can honestly say I have never had cherries in it tho!
xo Cathy

Ann said...

I love this recipe and have made it several times. I'm making it again today.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...