Friday, February 16, 2018

To SIRS with Love


Several years ago I wrote a post about


This wonderful fabric store was located in
Fayetteville, Tennessee,
where my parents live.
Rarely did I visit them  
without a visit to SIRS as well. 



Horrible, sad news last weekend
when a fire erupted late Saturday night
and early Sunday morning.






The result of the fire is a total loss of SIRS.


SIRS was more than a fabric store.
It was a historic landmark,
the largest fabric store in the southeast.
In business since the 1940s,
it was a gathering place
for designers and decorators
as well as home sewers.
Fayetteville is a a small town, but
their customers came from miles away to shop.
It was a "girls day out" kind of place.
In the past few years they began
selling sewing machines
and offering classes,
helping to insure the future of
home sewing.




I cannot tell you how many times
I have walked through their front doors
to spend hours of bliss.


The inventory at SIRS was beyond belief.
You could not just run in for a few minutes.
Piles of fabric had to be gone through,
piece by piece,
as if you were on a treasure hunt.


And because SIRS' prices were
incomparable, very often,
REAL treasures were discovered.

I look around my house and see 
curtains and draperies,
upholstered furniture and slipcovers,
shower curtains, table cloths,
pillows and cushions,
all made from fabric from SIRS.

All this in addition to 
a very large portion of the
fabrics used to make my
totes, bags and needle cases,
the backbone of my 
Buttermilk Cottage business,
all came from SIRS.

A total loss indeed.


No word yet on future plans for SIRS.
Will they rebuild and possibly come back
newer, bigger and better than before?

I surely hope so.




2 comments:

Mrs. Laura Lane said...

How tragic, may God bless them and help them to rebuild if they wish to do so.

NanaDiana said...

Oh! That is just so very very sad! I am really sorry and hope they were fully covered by insurance. Even if they do, the 'guts/ambiance' of the old place can never be replaced.
Have a great week- xo Diana

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...