Tuesday, June 11, 2019

Rick's "Lane Cake"


We have our second cake in the
Here's the proud baker, my brother Rick,
who makes his home in Germany,
with his wife Terry.


Although he insists it's "still a Lane,"
he used "real butter cream between the layers."
(Does that qualify as a Lane,
which is a vanilla butter cake
with a fruit rich custard filling?
Asking for a friend.)
He DOES get extra points for creativity
because he did not use a recipe,
but rather "looked at a whole lot of
recipes and built my own."
Rick is a devotee of
The Great British Bake Off
and used Mary Berry's
boiled icing.
Rick's assessment of his cake,
"Really good. Really rich.
Between the frosting
and the butter cream between the layers,
we are talking two cups of butter."

How could it not be good???

from Google Images
I have just finished an excellent book,
LOST ROSES
by Martha Hall Kelly.
About one third into this book
it kept reminding me of
LILAC GIRLS,"
which I read last year.
So I checked the author and yes, 
she wrote that one too.
It deals with a real historical figure, Eliza Ferriday,
the mother of Caroline Ferriday from LILAC GIRLS.
Although considered a prequel
to the earlier novel,
both books stand very well on their own.



This week in the garden
I cut back the iris.
They were magnificent this year
and I hated to see them end.


This is how they looked a few weeks ago.

It's June!
It's summer!
Hope you're enjoying it!

4 comments:

Linda said...

I love how you and your family do that bake off every year! How fun is that??

nanniepannie said...

OMG Rick looks so cute in that picture.

Angela said...

Your iris do look gorgeous as does that cake! Always love a book review!

Lisa said...

Well..... I have to admit.. that cake does look DELISH !!!! With alll that butter it's got to be a Win-Win..Right??!!! lololol

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...