Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Dressing the Dining Room Table for Christmas


Because it will be decorated for a while, I like to keep my dining room table "dressed" fairly simply for the holiday season.


Starting first with a bare table...

I add a holiday runner.

This runner is one I sewed myself. It's reversible.
Because my dining room is a bit dark,
I need the livelier of the two sides to brighten up the space.


This is a painted terra cotta pot.

Doesn't it look as though it's wrapped in ribbons?


It holds a small artificial tree topped with a simple twig wreath.


Next comes a collection of small pots which belonged to my grandmother.

She always had them filled with violets.
I don't use a lot of green in my house,
but I love to bring these pots out at holiday time.


I'm going to fill them with these tiny trees purchased at a craft store several years ago.



I'm also going to use napkins inside the pots for a bit of layering and color.

For several years I chose a new holiday fabric
and made napkins each year.
Now I have quite a collection.
Those of you who sew might recognize some of these fabric patterns.


These are the napkins I'll be using.
Looking at them against the runner, they look a bit discordant, don't they?
It will work, I promise.


The folded napkin is placed on top of the pot...

...and in goes the little tree.


Finally, they are all lined up and down the table.

It's very organic, don't you think?



I have to confess,

this is how I have dressed my holiday table for many years.

Am I lazy? I prefer the label "traditionalist."

I find I still like it after several years,

so why reinvent the wheel?



Just a word about the french doors behind the table.

They are real doors I found in an antique shop,

but I had them backed with mirrors.

They simply "lean" against the wall.

I love that they give my dining room some depth and more light.

I had no floor space for a piece of furniture and

they solve the problem of needing something large on the wall .

This week I'm visiting


"Boring to Better" Party at Savvy Southern Style

"Thursday Tablescape" Party at Between Naps on the Porch

"Fabric Fun Thursday" Party at Cheap Chic Home

"All Things Merry & Brite" Party at All Things Heart and Home

31 comments:

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

I love your row of Christmas trees. I was thinking of doing something similar this year. Love the painted pot and good idea using the napkins. Thanks for linking this week.

nanniepannie said...

It still looks great to me too. Keep it simple, thats my motto.

Olive said...

No not lazy. Creative and unique I think...love these. I like that you used a lot of the trees also. ♥O

Becca Bertotti said...

This is really, really pretty! Becca

Bonnie@Creative Decorating said...

What a cute display of little trees! I really like that and it gives a rustic feeling! Love it!

Stitchfork said...

Traditions are comforting, and bring joy! Keep those traditions you love. xo Cathy

Something Nice and Pretty said...

Just wanted to stop by and say how much I love your dining table display, love the sweet trees all in a row and your mother's pots just make it better.
I'm now a follower and will have you on my blog list:) Stop by would love to have you!

Rondell

Karen said...

Love the dining table. Simple but so colorful!

Unknown said...

too cute! I just bought 4 green little trees this weekend for the table--but haven't started to decorate yet--love the mix of patterns and fabrics

Unknown said...

Nothing wrong with sticking with what works! Your table looks festive and fun!

Love the mirrored doors - they do give depth to the room. Aren't you clever?!!!

Happy Holidays!!
xo Elizabeth

Stitchfork said...

Thanks for stopping by Susan! And it's an honor to be added to your sidebar favorites!!
Let the holiday merriment begin!
xo Cathy

Something Nice and Pretty said...

Hi Susan...just wanted to answer your question that you had in your comment, I found that chochet runner at an estate sale this past summer. Here's the good part I only paid a $1.00 for it♥

Rondell

vignette design said...

This is a great idea! Love it!

a quiet life said...

very cute~

Debbie said...

The variety of napkins inside each pot is a terrific idea that I want to use. It really makes a difference.

Courtney ~ French Country Cottage said...

I adore your table with those darling trees marching along!! Just beautiful!!! Thank you for sharing~ stopping by from Savvy Southern Style~new follower here! Come on by and say hello sometime! :)

Patti's Artful Design said...

Simply lovely....and those mirrored french doors are a beautiful backdrop to your table! Happy Holidays! Is Daisy part doxie? I have an affection for little doxies!

KimMalk said...

I think it's perfect, too. I keep things the same year after year quite often. We only get to look at it one month anyway ;). Your table and chairs are lovely as well. Thanks for linking.

Laura Trevey said...

What a lovely idea with the trees!! Love it ~~

xo Laura

Slice of Pie said...

I love that table. The door/mirror idea is fantastic ... and the trees in Grandmother's pots are so special. thanks for sharing

Brenda Pruitt said...

I think it looks fantastic! And still room on the table to eat.
Brenda

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

How pretty! I love the mixture of colors you're using! Happy holidays! ♥

An Oasis in the Desert said...

I really like your "simple" tablescape. I tend to do table settings like mood swings. Right now, my dining room table is very simple, but for fall & then Thanksgiving, it was so over-the-top complicated, but beautiful. Like I said, mood swings! Yours is lovely.
CAS

Scribbler said...

Well, you know they say, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!" Why mess with perfection?

Alycia Nichols said...

I agree with Scribbler: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it!" I think that's a lot of what tablescaping is all about...just doing what you love so that you feel like a special guest in your own home. LOVE the French doors and what they do for your dining room! Have a great weekend!

Chubby Chieque said...

I agree with the ladies, above.

Love that your theme is an environment friendly.

Happy TS and great week-end.
/chie

Marigene said...

Beautiful centerpiece...love the napkins inside the pots.

Privet and Holly said...

Simply beautiful, Susan.
And the magic doors ~ great
idea! Hope your weekend is
off to a wonderful start.
xx Suzanne

Rita's Recipes said...

Well, I love your table and am going to look thru your blog for the napkin making directions. I think I can sew a straight line? The French doors are just the perfect wow on that wall. Tradition! it's a great way to go since it works so well.
Cheers!
MAY DAYS

Entertaining Women said...

I think that eveyrone's grandmothers had those green ceramic pots. I'm empressed that you've held on to them. They really are perfect for the Christmas season. Thank you for sharing your charming design. Cherry Kay

KimMalk said...

I just wanted you to know I featured this :).

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...