Saturday, June 28, 2014

Distressing...


...as in "distressing" chalk painted furniture.
Some time ago I painted the above
It was my first attempt at chalk painting.
At the time I did not distress it.
To tell the truth the whole process of
distressing a piece of furniture
intimidated me.
Also, I liked the look of the newly painted,
pristine wardrobe.
So I opted to leave it as it was.


I did not put a coat of finishing wax on it either.
Now, after some time has passed and the
wardrobe has had daily use,


it had begin to become distressed on it's own!
So, I spent a little time last weekend,
took the plunge,
and distressed my wardrobe 
totally over to a shabby chic look.


Working with a fine grade sandpaper,
I started with the spots which were already
starting to show some wear.
Then I continued on a bit 
to the areas which might eventually
get worn.


I finished it with a coat of paste wax.
I am completely happy with the results.
And, an added plus with shabby chic furniture,
no more worries about it getting 
bumped or more worn!


2 comments:

Junkchiccottage said...

Susan,
It looks beautiful. Great job. That is such a pretty armoire.
Kris

Betty said...

I agree it looks beautiful and you did a great job. I would love to find one of those for my sewing room.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...