Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Taking the Plunge with Chalk Paint


I love the look of painted furniture,
but have never had the nerve to give it a try.


Until now...
At the beginning of this year
I decided I had too much brown in my house
and planned to lighten things up as bit.

Although this pine wardrobe is
too big for my bedroom, where it resides...


...it serves as fabric storage.
(We won't discuss the messiness,
it's on my "To Do" list.)
So, I can't get rid of it.
But let's face it,
there's a LOT of brown here.

I've been a long time follower of Sherry at
and been totally inspired by her painted furniture.
She even gives a tutorial about making your own
So with notes from Sherry's blog in hand,
I took the plunge and painted my wardrobe.


As mentioned earlier,
this wardrobe is big,
and heavy (it also houses an old style television).
So I had to work with the wardrobe in place.
I spread lots of plastic over the floor and rugs.



More plastic was draped inside,
over the fabric.
I did not paint the inside of the wardrobe.
That's a job for another time...
another lifetime...



Too late to turn back now.


First coat is on.
It was a little scary at this point
because, quite frankly, it didn't look good
I guess that's why God invented second coats.



Second coat on and finished!!!
I'm not giving a lot of details on "how-to" here
because you can find much more in-depth
instructions from those
much more expert at it than me
here in blogland.
I haven't done any distressing on it yet either.
I'm thinking I'll live with it like this for a while.
I think the distressing is where the real
artistry comes in and thus far
I have a fear ruining what I've got.


And for now,
I'm loving how it has lightened up my bedroom!
(Thank you Sherry!)

This week I'm linking with
The Open House Party at
No Minimalist Here

10 comments:

Patty said...

Thank you for taking the plunge. I have the supplies and am so ready to start but am scared. :) I will start with something small though, like a little table. You did a good job and yes, it is amazing how it lightened up your bedroom!

Kris said...

Looks fantastic!!!
xo Kris

Balisha said...

It looks wonderful.I would worry about distressing too.
Balisha

NanaDiana said...

Good for you for daring to paint such a big piece. I think it looks wonderful and it really does lighten up the room. I actually like it the way it is without being distressed. Great job- xo Diana

Junkchiccottage said...

Wow that is a big piece to start with so you did a great job!!!! You go girl I think more painting should be in your future.
Kris

Connie said...

It looks fabulous against your blue wall. Don't distress it! Distressing can look fake and I'll be glad when it's popularity has waned. Great job.

Stacey said...

It looks fantastic painted white. Bet you are really happy with it. I'm just dying to try chalk paint and making your own is such a good idea.

Eugenia Maru http://lulurulitos.blogspot.com said...

Te ha quedado lindo tu aparador. Me gustan los muebles blancos.
Me gustó tu blog, haces cosas muy lindas.
Saludos

http://lulurulitos.blogspot.com (de todo un poco)
http://atrapadaenmisletras.blogspot.com (mis letras)

Tombstone Livestock said...

Awesome job, looks good in white.

Scribbler said...

I think it looks wonderful like it is, too. I am not a huge fan of distressing because at my house, things tend to get naturally distressed just from use!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...