Saturday, July 19, 2014

Simple New Window Treatment for the Living Room


The living room has been evolving 
a bit lately at
Buttermilk Cottage.


With the addition of my new "knitting" chair,
which I showed you last week,
I needed a little something different
at the living room window.
I had just done new window treatments
for this room about a year ago,



but that fabric clashed with the chair's.


Since I had fabric left over from the slipcovers just
made for love seats in that room
I decided to use some of it.
It's the heavily quilted fabric at the bottom.
I found a second textured, off white 
to use as well.
I used the same simple design 
as the previous treatment.
This window topper is a series
of five squares of fabric
(one fabric on each side),



sewn together, leaving a small opening for turning.


Once turned, I used fabric glue to close up the opening.


Clothespins work great to hold everything in place
while the glue is drying.


I then folded the squares in half diagonally.
This allows the contrasting fabric
to show a bit too.
Using  small curtain rings with clips
I arranged the folded squares on the curtain rod.




Ultimately I would like to have a slip cover 
made for the knitting chair
with a fabric that coordinates with the original
blue and yellow window treatment
and then rehang those in this room.
But in the meantime, this is working for me
and I am enjoying the change.

Happy weekend!

8 comments:

Carol said...

Good solution! I do love the blue and yellow, though.

Linda said...

How clever!!! I really like them!!!

Jane@Bluebird1959 said...

Perfect! They look so pretty. Jane

Betty from My Irish Cottage Home said...

I love your living room. It looks so cozy.

joanne said...

what a beautiful idea, looks like something I might be able to try, and I love the look. wow, the room is so elegant but inviting, very nice.

Freimut said...

... windowbedroom.blogspot.com

Shirley Todd said...

That is very creative, Susan! I've never seen a window treatment like that before, and I must say, I'm impressed with your sense of creativity. That is a resourceful use of untouched fabric. You did a great job on that one! Thanks for sharing that with us! All the best to you! :)

Shirley Todd @ Arjay’s Window Fashions

Fred Richardson said...

I totally love the idea of making your own window treatments. Ater all, adding your own personal sense of style is the best way to make them creatively unique. In any case, the windows look amazing, Susan. I hope to see more of your successful DIY projects soon. Thanks for sharing that! Kudos and all the best! :)

Fred Richardson @ SGK Home Solutions, Inc.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...