Monday, July 23, 2018

Another Completed Project -- Check!


"Before"



"After"


I spent the past weekend working on a project
that has dogged me since
I moved in a year ago.
The mantle of my fireplace
got a "slapdash" coat of paint
just before I moved in.
In addition to only having one coat
which really did not completely cover
the original paint,
it was painted with latex over oil,
which took foreveeeeeer to dry,
and the underside of the mantel shelf
never got painted.
So, lots of problems
I have lived with for the past year.
I also lived with the original red brick 
surround for a year,
trying to decide whether or not to paint it as well.
As you can see from above,
I decided to paint it.

My first coat on the bricks
which you see above
was with KILZ Hide-All.



After that I painted two coats a white latex 
on everything.


The black vent behind the fire screen
also got a coat of an oil based enamel.


I do not have a lot of experience
painting with enamel and while painting
with it, every brush stoke seemed to show.
I am happy to  say when it dried,
it was as smooth as satin!


I am very happy with the results of my
weekend project.
I am also happy to have this project off my list!

1 comment:

Jane@Bluebird1959 said...

Hi Susan! Your fireplace makeover looks wonderful! I like the red brick and the black equally. ☺ Jane

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...