Monday, December 20, 2010

Quilted Christmas Pillows

I adore quilts.
In my "next" life,
I might even become a quilter.
However, knitting is my passion in this life.
Therefore, I don't make quilts.
I have made a couple in the past, so I know what
a major project one is.
Thus, I've contented myself with making quilted
pillows instead of full sized quilts.

I've limited my quilted pillows to Christmas ones.
Several years ago I decided
I would make one new design each year,
then in a few years time,
I would have a lovely collection
to bring out at holiday time.


This is the first one I did.
I always quilted the year the pillow was made
somewhere on it,
so I can tell you without a doubt, this one is from
1991.

Here is 1993's pillow.
Unfortunately, I did not continue the tradition to present,
but, I did do it enough years to accrue a nice collection of
Christmas pillows.

This Celtic braid pillow is from 1994.
That was the first year I was part owner in a yarn shop
with four other dear friends.


Each of them got one of these pillows that year.
(That was almost like making a full quilt!)


This is one of my favorites.

You can see the year, 1995,
quilted in the center.


Several years passed with no new pillows, but
last year I got inspired again....

...and made a couple of "Yo Yo" pillows.
Sadly, no quilting here.


I've recently been intrigued with the
Celtic design again and wondered how
I could combine it with knitting.


The result is knitted I-cord (the knitters out there
will know what I talking about), appliqued onto
the pillow top in a traditional Celtic braid pattern.
I then hand quilted around the braid pattern.
The result is a nice merging of my
passion for knitting
with my
infatuation with quilting!

This week I am linking with
Boring to Better at Savvy Southern Style
All Things Merry & Brite at All Things Heart and Home
Fabric Fun Thursday at Cheap Chic Home


19 comments:

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

They are all so beautiful! I LOVE them! I remember making quilted pillows using panels year ago...but they are long gone! Yours are really special! ♥

Privet and Holly said...

Each one of these
is more special than
the next....Wow! What
a wonderful idea for
a collection....made
by you....You are truly
one talented lady.
I also LOVE Celtic design.
Beautiful!!
xx Suzanne

The Sewing and Knitting Loft said...

Lovely pillows Susan. You do such lovely work.

I want to ask you about the Fusion yarn. You have knitted some beautiful pieces from it. Is this a grouping of yarns that you knit together as you go, do you take the group of yarns and make one fat strand, is it something you sell? ....it sure is beautiful stuff.

My email is barbshome151@aol.com.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year
Barb

Shirley said...

Your pillow collection is so pretty. I like the celtic design. It is a simple looking design, but probably isn't. I like it because it is different. Have a wonderful weekend. Merry Christmas Your Missouri Friend.

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

All your pillows look great especially your newest ones.

KimMalk said...

Susan you are so smart to make a pillow a year (more/less!). I love quilting, too, but don't do much of it. I seriously love your celtic designs and the yo-yos. Merry Christmas! Kim

Stitchfork said...

Love, love, love the celtic design pillows! They caught my eye in one of your previous posts too. xo Cathy

nanniepannie said...

This is a great post the pillows look fab.

BECKY said...

What delightful pillows, gal! My fave is the first Celtic one...just lovely!

Wishing you a very Merry Christmas at Buttermilk Cottage, and a joyful New Year, too!

HUGS,
Becky

ria said...

ΩΩΩ!! Τι όμορφα μαξιλαράκια!!! πανέμορφα!! μπράβο!!

My Notting Hill said...

I love the knitted celtic braid pillows. You should consider selling them on etsy. They're really fabulous!

Susan McClaskey said...

To Notting Hill,
I DO! The Celtic Pillows are in my etsy shop now.
Susan

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Wow, your pillows are just lovely and I can only imagine the amount of work that goes into them.

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

Susan, thanks so much for sharing these wonderful pillows at my party this week! I hope you have the most wonderful Christmas!

Karie said...

Beautiful pillows. Looks like you did a great job. Thanks for sharing. Have a Merry Christmas.

xinex said...

These are all so lovely. What a precious collection!...Christine

Unknown said...

They're just lovely - I am partial to the yo-yo pillows because my grandmother taught me to make those. I have an old pillow cover made with yo-yos from the same fabric as her housedresses. Priceless!

Anonymous said...

What lovely pillows.

klotylda said...

I love these pillows, the quilts are just adorable. I might even try to do something like that on my own when I have some spare time!
Anyway, you might also be interested in checking out microsoft erp partner's website for some business advice.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...