Monday, June 18, 2012

From My Book Shelf - LOTS OF CANDLES, PLENTY OF CAKE


If I were an eloquent writer,
whose thoughts were focused, clear and sharp,
this is the book I would like to have written.

Pulitzer Prize winner, Anna Quindlen's,
LOTS OF CANDLES, PLENTY OF CAKE,
is a memoir written from her perspective
as a sixty year old woman.
(Perhaps that's one of the reasons it
resonates so well for me.)
In it she covers most of the big topics
in her/our lives:
relationships, family, career, balancing it all,
spirituality, faith and religion,
culture and
aging.

This book should be required reading for any woman,
midlife or older,
any young woman about to embark upon
career and/or her own family,
and finally all men,
to give them a real woman's perspective.

I "read" it as I often do using my
Walkman and the audio version,
read by Quindlen herself,
and it was excellent.
However, I was so touched by this book
I believe I'm going to have to buy it
in hardback, just to have a copy to dip
back into from time to time for its wisdom.

I LOVE THIS BOOK!

Other books you might like by Anna Quindlen:
BLESSINGS
BLACK AND BLUE
ONE TRUE THING



3 comments:

Vicki Boster said...

Hi Susan/ I've read about this book but never "held it in my hands" so to speak. Your review makes me want to download it immediately-- and I just might later tonight!
Thanks for a great review--

Vicki

❁Velma ~Down Our Country Road❁ said...

I'll have to check into this book as I'm sure there is much for me to relate to as a woman approaching her 60th year. :)

John'aLee said...

I've added this to my book list. Thanks so much for sharing!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...