Tuesday, April 19, 2011

White Chocolate Cake w Buttercream Frosting

My girl Kate is home for a few days for Easter


and before she starts her new job next week.


Since she wasn't home for her birthday in March


I promised to make her traditional


birthday cake when she came home.


This is my "go-to" gal when I'm going to bake a cake.


Kate's cake of choice is the "Love Cake" (p.184)


which is a White Chocolate Cake.


The book gives directions for making


a single layer, heart shaped cake,


but I made a two layer round one.


Place 1 stick of butter, cut in pieces


and 6 ozs white chocolate finely chopped,


(do not use morsels, but rather a baking bar)


in a small saucepan over low heat.


Cook, stirring, until both have melted,


3 to 4 minutes.


*****


Place 1 pkg (18.25 ozs) plain white cake mix,


1 c. whole milk


3 large eggs


2 t. pure vanilla extract


melted butter & white chocolate mixture


into a large mixing bowl.


Blend with electric mixer on low speed for


one minute.


Scrape down sides of bowl and


beat another 2 minutes on medium speed


until all ingredients are blended.


*****


Divide the batter between two greased


and floured 9-inch pans.


Bake until light brown


at 350 degrees, for approximately 27-30 minutes.


*****


Cool cakes for 10 minutes, then remove


from pans onto a rack and let them


cool completely.


*****


I use a simple


Butter Cream Frosting


on this cake, not the one given in the book.




1 stick softened butter


3 T. milk


3 c. confectioners' sugar, sifted


1 t. vanilla extract


Place the butter and milk in a mixing bowl.


Place 2 c. of the confectioners' sugar into the bowl.


Mix well with an electric mixer.


Add the remaining 1 c. confectioners' sugar,


add the vanilla, and beat with the mixer


until the frosting is fluffy.




Do you know this trick of layering wax paper on your


cake plate before frosting the cake?





Place a dollop of frosting on the first layer of cake,



and spread it out.




Place the second layer on top, with the two bottoms


of the cake together.


(Notice my cakes are not straight edged.)




Frost the cake, filling in extra frosting to make the cake's


edges straight.


Slip the wax paper out from under the cake.


You'll have a frosted cake on a clean cake plate.




Garnish with some sliced strawberries and


enjoy! We did!


*****


This week you can find me partying at


Tasty Tuesday at 33 Shades of Green


Wow Us Wednesdays at Savvy Southern Style


All Things Inspired at All Things Heart & Home


Whatever Goes Wednesday at Someday...Crafts


Foodie Friday at Designs by Gollum



13 comments:

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

That looks so good. I love white chocolate and no, I did not know that trick. Thanks for sharing and for joining my party.

Tanna said...

YUM!!!!!!!!!!!!! That cake looks soooooo good! I know you enjoy spending time with Kate! And, she is a lucky girl to get such a wonderful BD cake!! blessings ~ tanna

red ticking said...

y u m m i e.... will definitely be thinking of this for days.... however, trying so hard to lose a little wt.... so i can dream right????

one day will make it and love it... xx pam

The Sewing and Knitting Loft said...

Lovely cake and it sounds delicious!

Barb

Unknown said...

Susan,
My family would love this....that is if I could finish getting the icing on! I think I'd eat it straight from the bowl!!!

xo Elizabeth

From the Kitchen said...

That looks like my kind of cake! Have a wonderful Easter and enjoy your girl!!

Best,
Bonnie

Brandy J. said...

I just found your blog and am your newest follower. This cake looks divine! I'll definitely be giving it a try.

Lisa said...

That cake sounds so good and that frosting looks super. I have a sweet treat linky party on my blog every weekend and I'd like to invite you to stop by then and link your cake up. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com

Lynn said...

Your cake is beautiful-enjoy:@)

Stitchfork said...

If I drop you some hints when my birthday rolls around.......
Happy Easter weekend!
xo Cathy

Privet and Holly said...

Wish we could
slice off a couple
of pieces and talk
with oodles of coffee,
a la Stieg Larson!!! I
hope Kate loves it!
And I definitely recommend
Mom-daughter b-day travel.
I wonder what day is
her b-day? My girl's is 3/3.
March is a perfect month
for a getaway trip, too!
Happy Easter, Susan; enjoy
your time together!
xx Suzanne

Lori said...

What a gorgeous cake. . .then to find out it had white chocolate in it. I've died and gone to heaven. Enjoyed your blog!

Lori

Rattlebridge Farm said...

A wonderful step-by-step for a wonderful cake!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...