Saturday, August 20, 2011

From My Bookshelf--The Two Final HUNGER GAMES Books


I've completed the final two novels of
THE HUNGER GAMES trilogy by
Suzanne Collins.
(I talked about the first book earlier, here.)


CATCHING FIRE, the second book
takes up after Katniss Everdeen and Peeta have won
the national games instituted by their government,
a fight until the death of all but the victor(s).
These games are a method of propaganda,
used to keep the population under control.

However, unrest in the districts is sparked by
Katniss' spirit and she unwillingly becomes a
symbol of hope for a spark of a rebellion.

The second book ends very abruptly,
and you are not going to want to spend
any time before starting the third, so have it handy.


In the final book, THE MOCKINGJAY,
the rebellion is fully played out and a
final resolution is realized in an epilogue,
twenty years later spoken by Katniss.
Personally I wish the ending had been
handled a bit differently.
I didn't mind HOW it ended,
but rather the author's method of telling it.
I wanted more of a "big moment"
of resolution, not a cool,
after the fact, retelling of it.
(If you've read the series, I'd love your opinion.)

These books are classified as "Young Adult,"
but are extremely grim.
Any adult reader will find them gripping.



Of course, as with any wildly popular
book trilogy, the movie is coming next year.
Everything I've read about it thus far is positive.
An interesting note, it was filmed near
Asheville, NC, not too far from where I live.

These are not the type books I usually read, but
they were completely entertaining and I recommend them.

1 comment:

Tanna said...

I love how you read such a variety of books, Susan. I tend to stick to one or two genres and plug along in those. I admire your diversity! blessings ~ tanna

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...