Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Acorn Squash--An Elegant Side


Fall is acorn and butternut squash season!
Acorn Squash in its shell is a great, and easy side.
Here's how:


This recipe calls for 1 medium acorn squash,
but it's very easy to add more and adjust your recipe.
Plan on 1 squash for every 2 servings.


Cut squash lengthwise into halves
(they are very hard, so be sure you're on a solid surface),


Cover with plastic wrap.
Microwave at high for approximately 6-9 minutes.


When soft, remove from oven and allow to cool slightly.
Discard seeds and fibrous material.


Scoop out squash and reserve the shells.


In a food processor or blender, evenly chop
2 T onion
1/4  c loosely packed parsley sprigs.
Add
scooped out squash
2 T butter, melted
2 T sour cream
salt and pepper to taste



Puree until smooth.
Taste and adjust seasonings


Spoon into shells.


Sprinkle with a mixture of bread crumbs and butter
(about 1/4 slice of bread
2 t/ melted butter)
Bake at 350 degrees for 15-20 minutes.
2 t. melted butter

Enjoy!

This week I'm linking with
Tasty Tuesdays at 33 Shades of Green
Foodie Friday at Designs by Gollum

16 comments:

Sunflowers With Smiles said...

Oh! This looks so tasty! Will have to try it....Sounds so easy to make which I really like!

Stitchfork said...

Adding squash to the grocery list right now! Looks like an easy route to tasty!
xo Cathy

NanaDiana said...

This looks great! I have made squash this way but never put it back into the shells! I love this idea! I always scooped the seeds out first too...I'll bet this makes it a lot easier to remove them. xo Diana

Brenda Pruitt said...

Having just moved, I haven't been eating as healthily. And now I'm sick. I could take a note from this very post, my friend!
Brenda

Sanghamitra Bhattacherjee(Mukherjee) said...

It looks great! Beautiful blog and lovely recipe! Thanks for sharing.
Hope to see you on my blog:)

Emily said...

Oh that looks absolutely delicious!

Tanna said...

Love acorn squash and your recipe looks wonderful!! Thank you, Susan! Have a wonderful day. blessings ~ tanna

Privet and Holly said...

Yum. Your recipes are
always so good! Last week
after I read your pie recipe,
I decided to make it for dessert
that Sunday. I'd bought a big
pot pie from Costco already
for dinner, so I dubbed it
"pie night." We all ate our
dinner pie and then our dessert
pie on trays in front of the
TV with a favorite show on!
We have NEVER done this, but
it was kind of rainy and it
felt right. The kids loved it
and my daughter said, "We
need to have pie night more
often!" So thank you for the
inspiration! {I thought that the
bag the pie was in had caught
fire, but it just smelled a bit
smokey...pie was divine!}

Happy November,
xx Suzanne

Kathryn Ferguson Griffin said...

Looks delish! Thank you for sharing. Hope you have a grand day! Toodles, Kathryn @TheDedicatedHouse

Anonymous said...

Oh, I love squash year round, but especially the varieities found this time of year. I've never tried it this way, but the addition of parsley and sour cream sounds delish! I probably will try this before the end of the season. Thanks for passing along your recipe!

Patricia @ ButterYum said...

I've baked acorn squash, but I've never microwaved it. I think I'll give it a try.

:)
ButterYum

Avery Hill said...

Yummy! Such a warm meal for cold days!

I won your Pinky in 2 Bags Full's give-away...
Thank you for donating her! :)

Have a beautiful weekend!
Alaina
averyhill

Karolee said...

Very pretty! My family loves squash. We used to have it quite a bit when we lived in the MidWest. Now I have to buy it at the store and it just isn't as good as garden fresh.

Vicki Boster said...

Susan- we love squash at my house- but we've only had spaghetti squash and butternut squash- I've never done an acorn squash. I'd love to try this- it truly looks wonderful and you've made it look so easy! Thanks so much-- I'm passing this recipe on to my hubby- he's in charge of squash cooking at our house!
Vicki

The Single Nester said...

Oh my word! This looks so outrageously delicious!!

AudreyO said...

My neighbor grows these and I'm always looking for new ways to use them. What a clever idea.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...