Saturday, December 17, 2011

From My Book Shelf--ONE DAY


I have just finished ONE DAY by David Nicholls.
It seemed to take me for...ev...er...to get through this book.
Normally, this is the type book I would love.
It's a "relationship" story of
Emma and Dexter,
who have a one night stand on the
night of their graduation from university.
From there the book proceeds through the next
twenty years of their lives as they go their separate ways,
always to reconnect again, at least once a year.
I found these two characters extremely irritating.
Emma has a mundane start with
lowly, boring jobs, boyfriends, etc.
However, her aspirations to write are eventually fulfilled.
Dexter on the other hand, starts on a high plane.
He's the one who always falls into the right spot
and success.
However, as Emma's life improves, Dexter's
spirals down due to drugs and alcohol.
Despite all this, they have a sincere attraction,
and always maintain their friendship/relationship.
The twenty year span of the novel was a l...o...n...g time
for these two characters to maintain this reader's interest.
Neither is very likable, both are whiny.
I'm going to be blasphemous and recommend you
see the movie, rather than read the book.


I actually saw the movie a few months ago,
and did not realize the book was
same story until I got started with it. (Duh...)
I liked the movie and let's face it,
you can't go wrong with much
in which Anne Hathaway stars.

4 comments:

Linda said...

Thanks for the heads up! I have read books like this before and you are right! Just see the movie!

Tanna said...

I hate it when I get one I feel like it is a chore to read! LOL! Not that I've been reading anything lately. Seems every moment is full to the brim with the Little Men here... it sure is going to be quiet come the end of the month. blessings ~ tanna

The Single Nester said...

Usually books are so much better than movies. I am not a Hathaway fan though so the book may be what I read.

Karolee said...

Funny. Usually the book is better. I'll add the movie to my list and skip the book. Thanks for the review.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...