Monday, September 17, 2012

Fettuccine with Zucchini and Mushrooms


There's a definite nip in the air in East Tennessee.
It's time once again to change from all those wonderful
cold pasta salads,
to hardier, hot pasta dishes.
I have been making this dish for
 more than 25 years.
It's a "keeper."
The recipe came from GOURMET Magazine.
(The magazine may not still be around,
but plenty of their recipes are!)


FETTUCCINE w/ZUCCHINI & MUSHROOMS

This is a simple recipe, requiring few ingredients.


In a large deep skillet saute 1/2 pound mushrooms,
trimmed and thinly sliced,
in 1/2 stick butter, over moderately high heat
for two minutes.


Add 1 1/4 pound zucchini,
scrubbed and cut into
julienne stripes,


1 cup heavy cream, and
1/2 stick butter, cut into bits.


Bring the liquid to a boil
and simmer it for three minutes.
(The mushrroms and zucchini are
cooking in butter and cream...
that should give you some indication
of how this dish will taste.
I have actually cut back on the
butter called for in the orginal recipe!)

Add one pound, cooked al dente and drained
fettuccine with 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese and
1/2 cup chopped flat leafed parsley,
and toss the mixtures with wooden forks,
lifting the pasta and combining the mixture well.

Transfer the mixture to a heated platter and serve it
with additional freshly grated
Parmesan cheese.
Serves 6


Let me just say, this dish is
extremely rich.
So, serve it with a big side salad
and maybe you won't feel so guilty
when you indulge.

This week I am linking with
Tasty Tuesday at 33 Shades of Green
Wow Us Wednesday at Savvy Southern Style
Foodie Friday at Designs by Gollum

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Very tasty looking!

I'd love it if you would link this (and a couple other recipes if you'd like) up to Wonderful Food Wednesday at: http://www.athometake2.com. I hope you can stop by.

Jessica @ At Home Take 2

KnitOne, PearlOnion said...

Holy smokes, this looks tasty indeed! I may have to make this the next time it's my turn to cook for Dinner Club! -- Joann

Deb A said...

HI - over here from Rattlebridge - I love anything pasta and also a lover of mushrooms and zukes! I'm also a new follower - would like to invite you to come over and do the same if you like. Have a great weekend, Deb

Diane Balch said...

Wonderfully simple and healthy dish. I love the idea of combining zucchini and mushrooms. Please share this today on my foodie friday party.

Linda said...

This looks amazingly GOOD!!! No nip in the air here in Texas but hopefully soon......and I will SO be making this!

Peg said...

I've made this recipe twice now. Last night I substituted fat-free half and half for the cream and added a little flour... worked great. I'm having the rest for lunch today:-)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...