Sunday, January 30, 2011

FALL OF GIANTS...in my opinion...

I've just this week finished Ken Follett's
FALL OF GIANTS.
This is a sweeping historical epic,
the first of a new trilogy.
Beginning in 1911, it spans
World War I and the years leading
up to it, including
the Russian Revolution.
Sorry, but there were just way too
many words here for me.
If I had not been listening to this novel
as a recorded book, I doubt I would have
gotten through it.
I wish the author had concentrated a
bit more on the characters' stories
and less on the political intrigues.
I found the love story between Lady Maude,
a rich British society woman,
and Walter, a German military attache,
the most compelling parts of the book.
My other big complaint is that there were just
too many convenient historical coincidences.
True, there are characters from Wales, England, Russia,
Germany, France and America, but how could
each of them always be at the forefront of
significant historical events?
Follet has set the stage for the trilogy's next
chapter which will deal with World War II.
Not sure if I'm up for it...

6 comments:

Brenda Pruitt said...

I've got to get off this here computer and get to reading! Or I'm going to grow stupid!
Brenda

Stitchfork said...

This one is in my to-read stack. I have read, and really enjoyed all his other books and was hoping this one was going to be good. Hmmm, maybe I'll put it lower in the stack. xo Cathy

NEW YORK BOOKY said...

Umm the only way I got through one of his books was by watching the screen adaption mini-series on Starz this summer. And even then it was hard for me! So kudos!

Tanna said...

We were just discussing Ken Follett in my dinner group from church. Just finished The Red Tent by Ann Diamant (sp?). It was a very interesting perspective, fiction based on Biblical characters. I really enjoyed it.

The Old Parsonage said...

MR Op just finished this on CD too (I think. He loves this author!

Love your blog!
Leann

Peg said...

Ken Follett's books are too wordy for me too! I started listening to Pillars of the Earth on a trip with Pa and found myself drifting off the story. Pa made it through all twenty-something CDs but he chose not to listen to the sequel. I might try an abridged version. I just finished Fannie Flagg's new novel "I Still Dream about You" on audio... very cute, but the best listen I've had recently was "The Help".. the readers really made the characters come to life!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...