Sunday, October 30, 2011

From My Book Shelf -- Two Good Reads


If this book doesn't become a movie,
Ivory and Merchant have missed an opportunity.
Amor Towles', THE RULES OF CIVILITY
is a stylish, end of the Depression era,
cocktails at  a Manhattan jazz club,
snappy dialogue, kind of book.
Mainly told in flashback,  from the point of view
of Katherine Kontent,
it's the story of how a single incident, chance meeting
or decision made, when young, can influence and determine
the rest of one's life.
It's the story of reinventions, friendships, and heartache.
I'm a sucker for F. Scott Fitzgerald and Hemingway,
and this book's style and tone was reminiscent of theirs.
This may be one of my favorite books this year.


Although I liked THE LANGUAGE OF FLOWERS
by Vanessa Diffenbaugh too,
I had some difficulty getting into it.
It weaves back and forth between
the past and present of it's main character
Victoria Jones, as a nine year old
and as an eighteen year old.
Once I got into the groove of it,
the story completely kept my interest.
Victoria is an orphan, a child of foster homes,
and finally an emancipated adult on her own.
She has an inability to connect with people,
and very severe anger issues.
What she does have is an affinity with flowers
and has learned that every flower has a meaning.
Through them she slowly finds a way to
confront a terrible secret in her past,
and recognize that she has the ability to love
and be loved.


5 comments:

Martha said...

Thanks for sharing -- the first one seems interesting -- I love novels of that period!

V.L. Locey said...

Thanks for sharing, I love book reviews!

Cass @ That Old House said...

I'll be looking for these. Well, honestly, I'll be looking for the first one -- that's on my radar, and one of my daughters will love it, too -- thanks for the heads-up!
Cass

Karolee said...

Sounds like some great books. I'll add them to my list. I seem to be stuck in British Literature right now - reading alongside my kids who are studying it for school. My reading list is posted on my other, more private life blog, at www.halfoverjustbegun.blogspot.com You are welcome to mosey over and have a look.

Vicki Boster said...

Susan- I am so happy to see your review of this book! It's been at the top of my list for a while- but I just had not seen anyone ( that I knew) review it yet-- so I'm definately adding it to my kindle! Wonder how this would be as an audiobook? Your thoughts?
Vicki

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...