Sunday, February 10, 2013

Honeybell Oranges


Have you heard of Honeybells?
Have you been lucky enough to taste them?


A nice neighbor recently sent some over to Buttermilk Cottage.
She was gifted with too many to eat herself,
so we got the excess!
Lucky us!
Can you see why they're named "honeybells?"


Honeybells are a cross between tangerines and grapefruit.
They reach their peak only during January and February.


They are incredibly easy to peel.
When was the last time you peeled an orange
and the rind came off all in one piece?


This fruit only grows along the
Indian River in Florida.


They are especially sweet and juicy.


They also make a really nice
spinach and fruit salad.
I made a base of torn spinach leaves,
put the peeled fruit on top,
and sprinkled everything with roasted, sliced almonds.

For the dressing I mixed the following in a blender,
and blended for 20 to 30 seconds:
1/2 c. sugar
1T. sesame seeds
1T. poppy seeds
1 1/2 t. minced onion
1 1/4 t. Worcestershire sauce
1/4 t. paprika
1/4 c. cider vinegar
1/2 c. vegetable oil

I usually make this dressing for
a strawberry spinach salad.
(Canned Mandarin oranges work well if
you're not lucky enough to have Honeybells!)


10 comments:

Linda said...

I have NOT heard or seen these but you can believe I am now on the watch for them!!

Deborah Hamilton said...

Those look delicious, and I really like that tray you served them on. I have never seen a tray like that with cables and knit stitches on it. It's just too cute.

Made.by.Fay said...

How beautiful! They are making my mouth water just from looking at your pictures. Love your photography.

Blessings,
Fay

Dewena said...

These are delicious and your dressing sounds delicious too. We also love the Meyer lemons that we only get in the winter. Our daughter sends us some. Beautiful salad!

Unknown said...

What a lovely salad, Susan! I'm off to the store this morning -- wish me luck in finding some honeybells . . . .Thank you for sharing the dressing recipe.

Annabelle said...

We do not have these in England but they sound delicious. The salad looks yummy. x

Anne said...

Hello, my Dear! Oh, they sound wonderful! Like a larger version of Clementines! ("Peelability"-wise!) I've come to you from The "Grow Your Blog" party...it was over before I knew about it, but it was so nice of Vicki to leave the list up! Anyway, I always welcome new blogs to enjoy, and yours is delightful! I am now following you ~ please come and visit me if you get a chance!
So nice to "meet" you!
Hugs,
Anne

Debra at HOMESPUN: http://www.thehomespun.com said...

I don't think I've seen them in our local grocery store in PA but I'll look around. I love Clementine tangerines due to the easy peeling but the price this year has risen dramatically!

Peg said...

I haven't seen Honeybells but will look for them. We've been enjoying the ones called Cuties. I will try your dressing. You make the BEST salads!

chev37 said...

I have another recipe that we enjoy using mandarin oranges.
1 lb box of bow tie pasta..cooked
1 small red onion..halved and sliced thin
1 can drained mandarin oranges..I'm sure your Honeybells would work.
1 bottle poppyseed dressing..your dressing would be wonderful (probably more than you make for your salad as the macaroni soaks up quite a bit)
mix well and chill
garnish with slivered almonds.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...