Wednesday, April 10, 2013

You Can Do a Lot with a Cake Mix (Idea #1)


One of my "Kitchen Truisms" is
"You can do a lot with a cake mix."
Here is one of my favorite uses.
It's so easy, it's almost a crime.
This recipe comes from my sister(in law), Terry,
and it's absolutely the best thing she ever gave me.
I use it a lot.
It's one of those recipes passed by word of mouth
and I'm not even sure of it's name.
I call it
Fruit and Cake Crumble.


You'll only need three ingredients.

Coat a large baking dish with cooking spray.


Spread two cans of pie filling in the bottom.
You can use any flavor you like.
I've tried them all, and they're all good.
In addition to cherry, I also favor
blueberry and apple.

Sprinkle a box of yellow cake mix over the fruit.


Cut a stick of butter into chunks...


...and dot the top of the cake mix with them.
Please, DO NOT use anything but butter here,
it just won't be as good.


Bake at 400 degrees for 30 minutes.


Serve, hot or cold,
with ice cream, on top or bottom.
It's a gift from the gods....
Other than indulging in this dessert,
I really like it because you can always keep
the ingredients on hand.
It makes a great dish when you want
something to take to a neighbor or friend.
Put the coffee on, I'll bring dessert...

9 comments:

Thistle Cove Farm said...

Well, you better hurry because I think I could eat the entire crumble.
When I don't have a cake mix, I use the cupa cupa method...cup of flour, cup of sugar, cup of milk and dash of baking powder with stick of butter. Melt butter in bottom of 9x13 pan. Mix flour, sugar, milk, baking powder and pour over 1 qt of heated fruit you've place din bottom of baking dish. Bake until done and dig in. I've got a cake mix and 3 children spending the weekend, think I'm making this.

Unknown said...

Simple easy and tasty...what more is needed!! This certainly looks yummy...where's my bowl...I only see two? LOL! Great Post! XO

Tombstone Livestock said...

This recipe has been around since at least the 60's it was called "Dump Cake" cause you just dumped ingredients into baking dish and baked.

Dewena said...

I have the ingredients for this in my pantry! I kept thinking I needed to wait until company was here to share it with us. Maybe not. Yum! With vanilla ice cream.

Blondie's Journal said...

Thank You, Thank You! I love it and I know hubby will, too. Keep these recipes coming!

XO,
Jane

Kris said...

Looks so yummy!!
xo Kris

Anonymous said...

OK, I am going to have to make this over the weekend! Wow, how easy can it get?! Thanks so much for sharing this!
Hugs,
Beth P

Patty said...

I have made this in the past but forgot about it. Thanks for reminding me! My husband loves cherries!

Vicki Boster said...

Hi Susan-- I'd love to just hang around in your kitchen-- just the smells would be incredible. This is a wonderful dessert- it's been a while since I've made it-/ thanks for bringing it back to mind!
Happy Spring!
Vicki

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...