Thursday, May 30, 2019

What's Blooming at Buttermilk Cottage this May

Beautiful iris are now gone, but bloomed gorgeously in early May
I consider myself a
"reluctant gardener,"
because I have never 
really had a huge interest 
in gardening.
However, when I bought the current
Buttermilk Cottage,
I also bought several established beds.

This calla lily was in a bed in front of the house,
but was moved to a side bed when it first started peeking up
and is looking lovely in its new spot.
Since these established beds...
* were already there,
* I am not one who likes to waste things,
and
* I care about the appearance of my house,
inside and out,
I have spent the past two years
learning about gardening.
I have discovered that...
* gardening is a process
* if something isn't working (pleasing) in one spot,
dig it up and put it somewhere else,
* perennials are my BFFs in the garden,
and
* there is ALWAYS weeding to be done.




These three small azalea bushes
were bought on impulse last spring
when they were blooming.
They ended in a new bed along the
backside of the house.
I watched them with anticipation
during April
when all the other azaleas in the 
neighborhood were blooming.
I got nothing.
But now late in May
this is what they give me!!!


One of my favorites
that comes back beautifully 
each year is Coreopsis.
Also known as tick seed/tick weed,
 that name does not do it justice.
I have been thrilled to discover
it attracts finches,
which look too exotic
to be just flying around!


Speaking of "exotic,"
this lily was purchased last spring,
again because it was blooming,
to be used as a container plant
on my deck.
It did fairly well,
but at the end of last season,
I found a spot for it in the ground
and look what it is doing now!!!



Although the hosta are not yet blooming,
I had to show them to you
because they are HUGE!
Once they started poking through 
the earth in early Spring,
you could almost see 
them growing by the hour.


To conclude,  
the daylilies are beginning to bloom this week.
They have almost outgrown this spot
and I am anticipating
thinning them out
and transplanting a few
to other spots in the yard.


I'm not sure I can really call myself
a reluctant gardener any more.
Although the work can be hot,
dirty, and sometimes backbreaking,
just look what can happen!
April showers really do
bring May flowers!


1 comment:

Linda said...

It all looks beautiful! You are rocking it as a gardener!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...