Thursday, July 15, 2010

The Knotty Ewe


I recently had occasion to be driving through Lynchburg, Tennessee and came upon an unexpected surprise--a new yarn shop! Actually, THE KNOTTY EWE is not brand new, they've been in business for about a year. But, I had not been in, and since all I had to do that day was get back home by the end of it, I stopped.



The shop is owned by two long time friends Gloria and Jeanie. Only Jeanie was there the day I visited and we had quite a nice chat, surrounded by skeins and skeins of alpaca, bison, camel and soy yarns. One especially unusual yarn was of "chitin" fiber, a naturally antibacterial yarn made from shrimp and crab shells!!! The shop is filled with exotic yarns, knitting, crocheting and weaving implements, and a great collection of sheep.


It was an unexpected pleasure to find the shop and have such a nice visit. Of course I couldn't leave empty handed either. I picked up one skein of a yarn I've never used before. It's a fingering weight, space dyed blend of superwash wool and nylon called Trekking, Hand Art. If I were a sock knitter...but I'm not. So, I'll have to find another creative use for it.



If you're ever in the Lynchburg area, please stop in and tell them I sent you! While I'm mentioning Lynchburg, let me urge you to visit it if you're ever nearby. It's the home of the Jack Daniel's Distillery and it's probably worth a visit all by itself. They offer tours of the distillery year around. You'll also find Miss Mary Bobo's Boarding House, a locally owned eatery devoted to southern cooking, served family style in a historical home. Miss Mary Bobo's has been recognized in the past by SOUTHERN LIVING Magazine as a readers' favorite. You'll also find numerous interesting shops, all within walking distance of The Knotty Ewe. (ALL this and I haven't even mentioned my all time favorite fabric store, SIR'S FABRICS which is about twenty miles away in Fayetteville, Tennessee. But that's another posting, all by itself for another time.) Did someone say, "road trip"???


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Cute store! I love the black and white floor.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...